Being a caregiver can be extremely demanding, even when it comes to your closest loved ones. In many cases there is no previous training or experience, leaving you to put the pieces together as you go.
Over time the added strain can take its toll on both your physical and mental well-being, leading to caregiver burnout. If you’re feeling overwhelmed in a caregiver role, the professional respite care options available from Claridge Court may be just what you need to bounce back from burnout.
Am I Suffering From Caregiver Burnout?
Understandably, when it comes to loved ones you want to help in any way you can. Even if this means making difficult personal sacrifices along the way. When you put your head down and keep moving forward, you may not recognize the impending burnout before you reach a tipping point. Here are some of the signs that can indicate you’re suffering from caregiver burnout:
- Physical and emotional exhaustion
- No longer finding enjoyment in activities you enjoy
- Withdrawing from friends and family
- Increased feelings of irritability, hopelessness or depression
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Personal health problems
Another condition commonly associated with caregiver burnout is compassion fatigue. This can often be identified by feelings of indifference or lack of empathy toward those who are suffering. Compassion fatigue can be a strong indicator that the stress of caregiving is taking a significant toll on your well-being.
Claridge Court’s Respite Care Options
If you’ve been seeking ways to reduce the impact of your caretaking duties, respite care may be just the solution you’re looking for. This temporary care option gives you additional flexibility while ensuring your loved ones get top-quality professional care. Sometimes a short break is all it takes to recharge.
If you’re a caregiver in the Kansas City area, respite care at Claridge Court starts with a seven day minimum commitment. Our health center has a five-star rating< from Medicare, and offers guests the same access to the luxurious amenities enjoyed by full-time residents. This includes everything from wellness activities, like fitness and exercise classes, to creative outlets, such as painting and gardening. On top of the numerous activities available, guests will enjoy our chef-prepared menus served in restaurant-style venues with country club ambiance.
If you’re interested in exploring the possibilities of respite care at Claridge Court for a loved one, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Our caring team members are ready to answer any questions you may have. We understand this can be a difficult decision to make, and will happily assist you to meet your specific needs.
How to Discuss Respite Care With Your Parents or Spouse
Whether respite care is brand new to you or you’ve been considering it for quite some time, starting the discussion can be challenging. If you’re not sure how to approach your parents or spouse about the topic, here are a few strategies to help foster a productive conversation:
- Open and honest. Honesty is the best place to start from. You clearly care deeply about your loved ones, and they feel the same about you. With that principle as the foundation, it’s usually easier to communicate your needs. Ultimately you’re working to achieve the best solution for everyone involved, not just one side.
- Lean on support. As a caregiver, it can sometimes feel like you’re on an island. Think about the trusted support systems you and your family have available and consider leaning on them. You never want anyone to feel ambushed, but having multiple points of view can help foster a positive discussion and provide additional strategies.
- Get into the details. Few people want to jump into something they know little about. When discussing the possibilities of respite care, be as specific and detailed as possible. Having details about accommodations, amenities and the temporary nature can go a long way to help alleviate concerns.
- Benefits of professional care. Caregivers often find themselves in situations they have no experience or training to handle. With respite care you have the benefit of professionals who can offer guidance that may make the situation easier for everyone involved.
How to Overcome Obstacles to Respite Care
Even if respite care sounds like it might be a good fit, moving forward isn’t always as simple as it seems. If it feels like you’ve hit a sticking point, these strategies can be useful in overcoming common obstacles:
- Let go of guilt. Easier said than done, right? One of the most common roadblocks to respite care is feelings of guilt from the caregiver. It’s important to keep in mind this is a temporary option to give you relief. If you’re burned out and suffering physically and mentally, the quality of care you can offer is going to suffer as well.
- Straight to the source. Discussions are an important piece of the puzzle, but there’s no substitute for first-hand experience. If it feels like your conversations have stalled, an in-person visit or virtual consultation allows your loved ones to make their own judgments and have a more tangible foundation to work from.
- Practice patience. Though respite care is a temporary care option, it can be a difficult decision to make for everyone involved. Keep the possibility on the table and take the time needed to fully evaluate. Remember, slow progress is still progress.
If you’re considering respite care in the Kansas City area, Claridge Court is here to help you at all stages of the journey. Our priority is always the highest-quality care, and our compassionate team will gladly assist you in any way we can. Contact us at your convenience to learn more about the amazing community at Claridge Court.